Friday, December 22, 2006

Fun with Yasuko


My awesome mother in law Yasuko is in town. You can see pics and read some about it at my blog for my daughter. I thought I'd mention that among the gifts, yasuko borough summer kimonos (jinbei) for gifts for a lot of people. Here's a picture of me wearing my top.

After the gifts on Wednesday, we took Yasuko to eat at Joy Yee's in Chinatown, and then drove up Michigan so she could see the Christmas activity on the Magnificent Mile.

Also last night, in celebration of a difficult work week and not having to get up in the morning, I set up Battlelore. To my surprise, Yasuko took a great interest. She help me sort the pieces and board, and I explained the rules to her as best I could, given the rulebook is 80 pages long and we speak different languages... But I know the colors and numbers, so I could explain a lot. She got to roll all the dice. She definitely at least understood the magic (lore) deck, the deck for determining what the armies do (command cards), and who was attacking who. I even tried to explain the support rules, but the language barrier dropped. I played both sides, but at the end the side she was sitting at won, so she declared victory over me.

Yasuko also promised to teach me a version of Japanese chess. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: