Friday, December 8, 2006

Goodbye, Gajokai

I joined the Soka Gakkai and became a buddhist four years ago. I'm a happier stabler, more productive person because of it. Moreover, I believe to some small degree, the world has become a better place.

Since day one, I was in a program called "Gajokai", which is Japanese for "teeth of the castle". It's a volunteer program for young men to do security and service at the community centers where we practice. Two years ago I got put in charge of running the program for Chicago, which means handling the local community center, and a few other off-site events, such as our annual participation in the Pride Parade, etc.

Every day for two years I've sweated making sure the center gets opened and closed, and making sure there's always someone behind the desk to greet people, keep the environment clean and friendly, answer questions and phones, maintain the schedule, and a gazillion other tasks. I've done this on a rotation of about 15 guys (plus 20 more assistants) covering about 50 shifts a month. With nothing driving us but pride, we've kept it together, and also generated growth, development, camaraderie, and prayer.

I have got so much out of the experience, and of the hundreds of hours I've mopped and cleaned and planned and sweated, it was all worth it. Conspicuously, I learned critical job skills (management, customer service) and met my wife through the program. Inconspicuously, I've grown by becoming comfortable with using my life as a platform to care for and develop those around me. Plus somewhere along the line I got a lot of lessons in humility.

I'll be leaving the program behind, hopefully in good hands, in about 10 days. There was a time when it could be my number one focus, but now I've got a family to take care of. That's a whole new horizon, but the steady faith and steady practice that Gajokai has drilled into me makes it a challenge I'm sure I can handle.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. Bob.

3 comments:

Bruce Jewett said...

glad to come across your comments...one of my biggest mistakes was not doing as my activities as I could as a YMD member... drop by if you ever get to the San Francisco area...


bruce
(White Oaks District, Sequoia Chapter)

Buddha01meister said...

To bad to learn you're stopping with your Gajokai activities. I'm a Gajokai myself in the Cultural Centre of SGI-Netherlands at Zeist.
We call it Keibi. It means protector or guard in Japanese. I also was a few times a gajokai/Keibi at our European Centre at Trets, Southern France. It is a wonderful experience! In The Netherlands we have Keibi who are from both YMD, YWD, MD and WD. This because we don't have so many Youthmembers at the moment who are willing to be a Gajokai/Keibi.
I hope you will look back on your Gajokai activities with pride and joy.
NMHRK
André de WIt
SGI Netherlands
Chapter Eindhoven-Tilburg
District Eindhoven III

Anonymous said...

Inspiring to read about your dedication to the Gajokai. I've been a New York Gajokai member since I first began practicing for myself some years ago, and, I agree with your sentiments that, more than any other single activity, it has challenged me to grow and develop personally as a young man (to undergo our "Human Revolution"), at the same time that is has spurred me to deepen my own practice by encouraging me to become more involved in my district, with Soka Spirit and in mentoring young men who are in much the same, confused position I was in when I first began practicing.

Thank you for your dedication to protecting the SGI!

Your Soka brother,

WE