Saturday, December 16, 2006

Last Free Weekend


Hiroko's mom Yasuko is about to come to town for the birth of Ren, so this is our last free weekend as a couple before we begin the new era as a family. Hiroko celebrated by going out to breakfast and dinner together, and watching a movie at home. We've never felt closer and it's like there's a sort of honeymoon sense about the relationship again. It's a funny thing, since I'm recovering from a cold, and having minor physical ailments with one eye and knee, and work is crazy, and she's got all these physiological issues. But despite that I'm overwhelmed with a stream of joy and security.

Speaking of generating joy, since Hiroko can't go down the stairs, we've moved our Omamori Gohonzon to the bedroom. For those who don't know, the Omamori is a tiny version of the Gohonzon meant primarily for travel. Having it here means Hiroko can chant where she's most comfortable, in bed.

She also plays Chuzzle all the time. And I mean ALL the time. I guess we all have our game loves. My mom plays Sudoku. My dad just plays solitaire. Joe used to play the Playstation version of Civilization 2 for hours and hours.

I'm totally in love with Battlelore. Even the small things I thought I didn't like about the game, I like after playing it a bit. The core game engine is pretty simple and open to randomness, but the possibilities and additional complexity are endless, while remaining fun. It's a very expandable game system and I look forward to diving deeper and deeper into it. I finally got a chance to show it to Mike. He also dug it a lot. When I get the chance (presumably, months from now) I'll go looking for more opponents. Really, it's a blast.

Guess it's cool my kid is just around the corner, and I can talk about having fun with my wife, and playing games.

No comments: